In the 15,h- 17th centuries, Sataniv was a large border town, which defended the southern borders of the Polish-Lithuanian kingdom. The city had a great strategic importance, and because of that it constantly suffered from enemy attacks. To attract people to become residents and promote the development of trade the authorities had to introduce special privileges for them. The town had a system of fortifications, the core of which was Sataniv Castle, which has preserved to nowadays. Sataniv Castle was the largest one of the kind on the borderline along the Zbruch River.
The stone castle in Sataniv was constructed in the 15th century on the site of earlier wooden fortifications. From the middle of the 16th century, the city belonged to the Seniavskiy family that significantly expanded the castle and equipped it in accordance with the reguirements of the new age.
Like many castles of Podillia, the fortress was of pentagonal shape, and the corners were fortified by towers that protruded over the line of walls. Up to now, three towers of the five have survived. In addition to the outer walls, which have been preserved, the castle had a number of additional internal walls that have been lost. In the castle territory there is an interesting round tower, which some researchers consider to be the remains of an earlier castle that existed before the Seniavskiys, while others believe it was a part of the internal fortifications.
Since 1895, the castle territory was given to a sugar factory, which existed until late 20lh century.