The half-ruined Korets Castle is a great sight so different from the gray ruins of other Ukrainian strongholds. Over the deep fortress moat, there stands the frame of the entrance tower made of red stone, while on either side of that, palace facades gape with dark window openings. A large stone viaduct bridge crosses the moat. One can see that the fortress turned into ruins neither because of cannon shots disfiguring its walls, and nor because of an enemy’s furious attack. The castle was destroyed from inside by the flames of fire.
The first fortification appeared here in the 15th century through efforts of Prince Fedir Ostrozkiy. In the 16th century, Korets was the cradle of a new noble family of Princes Koretskiy, one of the first organizers of the Zaporizhyan Cossacks. The Koretskiys reconstructed and fortified the castle for several times.
The latest reconstruction of the castle was made in the 1780s by Princes Chartoryiskiy. They turned the military stronghold into a spectacular Barogue palace. Instead of fortress walls, two palace wings were constructed on either side of the entrance tower. In the upper floor of the tower, the chimes appeared instead of grimly functional battlements. The flying bridge was replaced with the arched viaduct, more suitable for solemn receptions and guests arriving in luxury carriages.
For half a century, Korets Castle was the residence for the noble family of Chartoryiskiy: it hosted fashionable balls, was a place of political negotiations, and even of love affairs. In 1832, Korets Castle caught fire, burnt out, and has not been reconstructed ever since.