The Chervonohrud canyon has attracted tourists by a special mystical feeling of the deserted place for several years already. It is also surprisingly beautiful. The Chervone stow with high slopes resembles an amphitheater, while in the center of this natural arena there rises a hill with two white-stone Gothic towers. This is all that has been left of Chervonohrud Castle. The hill where the castle stands is washed by Dzhuryn River from the three sides and therefore is perfectly suited for a fortification point. It is believed that there were settlements here in the times of Kyiv Rus, and the first reliable written sources mentioning Chervonohrud Castle date to the 14th century. In 1313, the Grand Duke of Lithuania Olherd conguered Podillia and gave the lands to his associate Fedir Koriatovych, who was known for construction of many castles and fortresses in the Western Ukraine. The new owner fortified Chervonohrud Castle, which had already existed there, and a Dominican monastery was established nearby in 1331.
In the 15th century, Chervonohorod was a major city, and the center of a povit (administrative unit in Poland eguivalent to a district). It was one of the first places in Podillia to receive Magdeburg Law. fn 1615, Chervonohrud became a possession of the Lviv castellan Mykola Danylovych. On the site of the old fortress the new owner built a new stone castle. It was a fortification of a regular type: a standard quadrangle of walls with four towers in the corners. The fortified courtyard was built up with residential buildings and barracks. The castle was surrounded by a moat and an earthen rampart. At about the same time, the Dominican church was constructed next to the castle; its ruins have been preserved until our days.
Finally, the castle of Danylovych was destroyed in 1672 when the army of the Ottoman Empire led by Sultan Mahomet invaded Podillia. The castle suffered heavy damage and was never restored again, turning into ruins gradually. In 1778, Chervonohrud was bought by Prince Karol Ponynskiy. He devised an ambitious project of converting the old castle remains into an elegant palace. At first, it was supposed to dismantle ruins of the fortress, leaving only two towers to stand, and build a palace in the neo-Gothic style between them. However, in the course of works they decided that the old towers are too low, and they were reconstructed. The project designer was a famous Lviv architect Julian Zakharevich. The palace construction was completed in 1820. Shortly after Chervonohrud Palace was purchased by Princes Liubomirskiy. They owned it until World War II, and all this time the palace remained in good condition, suitable for residential purposes. In 1944- 1945, almost the entire population of Chervonohrud who were mostly Poles was slaughtered by the UPA (the Ukrainian Insurgent Army) detachments, and the palace was damaged heavily during their raids. The surviving Chervonohrud inhabitants left the city and it disappeared gradually from the map of Ukraine. The building of Chervonohrud Palace was dismantled by residents of the neighboring Nyrkiv village.